Regularly used sinks are bombarded, in low quantities, by different types of waste. With the passage of time, these accumulate until they become an obstacle large enough to prevent the passage of water through the pipe.
Therefore, in a COMO, we bring 4 easy and homemade solutions for you that will teach you how to unclog the sink. All are economical and practical and, in addition, you can apply them yourself, taking the necessary precautions and following the step-by-step instructions. Uncover!
How to unclog the sink with Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola is a soda drink known worldwide, created in 1886 by John Stith Pemberton, who initially made a syrup to treat digestion, but realizing the surprising sale of the product, he thought big and, together with Frank Robinson, logo and brand designer, began to succeed.
Although this drink is used for human consumption, it has another untraditional use: uncover the sink. Coca-Cola has the capacity to act as an industrial product thanks to one of its components, called phosphoric acid 338. This has an effect similar to that of sulfuric acid, an element found in various detergents and fertilizers.
To unclog the sink with Cola-Cola, you must follow the steps below:
- If the sink is full of water, take out as much as possible.
- To ensure that the Cola-Cola maintains its properties, you should uncover it only at the time of pouring it into the sink.
- If it is a small sink, you can use 1 liter of the soda. If it is large, it is advisable to use 2 liters.
- Pour the Coca-Cola into the sink and let it act for about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- In that time, you will notice how noises begin to come out of the sink and the stagnant water begins to drain gradually until the sink is completely uncovered.
How to unclog the sink with salfumán
Salfumán, also known as muriatic acid, is a chemical not commonly used for cleaning because it is highly toxic. In fact, it is used only in specific cases, such as to clean very difficult surfaces. It is advisable to use it with caution and safety instruments such as gloves and mask. In the market, it can also be obtained under other names such as hydrochloric acid or strong water.
To unclog the sink, salfumán is a great help, as it acts by fading organic waste, and some inorganic, stuck in the pipe. For its part, being a powerful product, you will have to be careful, do not let it act for a long time so that the pipes are not affected.
The steps to follow to unclog the sink with salfumán are:
- Remove as much water as possible if the sink is full of water.
- Then, pour half of the jar of salfumán in the sink.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Subsequently, pour plenty of water through the sink.
- Remember that the use of salfumán should be occasional, due to its powerful properties that can impair the integrity of the pipe.
How to unclog the sink with baking soda and vinegar
Baking soda and vinegar are, individually, well known for their great benefits in the area of health, cleanliness and others. Now, the union of these two products is also very useful in different areas of everyday life.
In the case of unclogging the sink with bicarbonate and vinegar, these two elements represent a natural mixture of acids that helps eliminate all kinds of debris stuck in the sink. It is a homemade and natural method that will help to collapse the obstacles that prevent the flow of water through the pipe.
To clean and uncover the sink with baking soda and vinegar, you just have to follow the steps below:
- As in the previous steps, remove as much water as possible if the sink is full of it.
- In a bowl, mix half a cup of vinegar and 100 g of baking soda.
- Empty the mixture into the sink drain.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- When you notice that the mixture took effect, drink 3 liters of boiling water and pour them down the drain to finish cleaning the pipe.
Baking soda is also an ideal ingredient to remove the smell from the sink.
How to unclog the sink with bleach
Lye is a powerful chemical component with fast action and strong aroma. This product is mainly used to disinfect and bleach. Therefore, it is advisable to take great care before using it and equip yourself with the appropriate clothing (gloves and mask).
Bleach is a great help when unclogging the sink because of its effective way of acting, fading away the remains of food and other objects stuck in the pipe. As with salfumán, it is not advisable to use the product frequently to uncover the sink, because it could cause damage to the pipe.
To unclog the sink with bleach correctly, follow these steps:
- As in the steps mentioned above, if you notice that the sink is full of water, try to get as much water as you can. Thus, the effect of bleach will increase at the time of application.
- Note that it is necessary that the area where the sink is ventilated. To do this, open the doors or windows.
- Then, pour 1 cup of warm water and 1 cup of bleach into the sink drain.
- Let the mixture act for 2 or 3 hours. In this period of time, you should not pour anything down the drain.
- Wait for the sink to be uncovered and that’s it!
In addition to bleach, you can use other home remedies to clean the sink and remove the annoying rust that accumulates in it over time.